Thursday, July 14, 2005

Marvel announces deal with Microsoft for MMO's -- more games!

Marvel announces Xbox 360-exclusive MMORPG - Xbox 360 News at GameSpot


The above link was taken from Google News, there are many more sites that talk about the announcement

Personally I"m not as much of a fan of consoles as I am PC games, though I have been told the new generation of consoles will alleviate a lot of my concerns (live updating being the biggest). I think it's a wonderful idea for the Comic Book companies to make games from their popular titles, it gives people another place to be exposed to these worlds outside of the movies, hell some of them might actually read the comic books occationally.

I've never been a huge fan of comic books, but I love the stories. I watch the 'Diniverse' animated series religiously, I go opening night to most comic book movies (missed Hulk and Electra) and I make my poor long suffering sibiling tell me the stories that have encompased years of comic book lore.

I just don't have the paitence for the serial once a month barely anything happends format. The art can be amazing and the stories can be spectuclar, but I just don't have the attention span. That may be a failing for a lot of the consumers in society, so I am glad these ideas and worlds can be shared with a wider audience.

I am a big continuity nut, so I do have a problem sometimes keeping all the different versions straight. I hate recons (even when they're better) as it invalidates things that a person may have followed in the past. I understand the reasoning, I"m not blaming anyone or calling them lazy, but the origin of some of our most beloved superheros keep changing I can't keep track anymore. Hello Green Lantern anyone? I gave up and just smile and nod when the whole subject is brought up.

I"m going to comic con tomorrow to drool over the cool toys, I'm going to see the Battlestar Galactica panel (if I can get in) and generally be a geek. I don't know who I"ll get to meet this year, though the con seems to be more popular than ever. I hope this trend of introducing these comic universies to different people continues.

No comments: