Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Finding random people late at night

Google is a wonderful thing when you can't sleep. Some nights I search for different things, but tonight it was people I haven't spoken to in quite a while.

I found one, and an email attached, so I sent off a friendly hello that will most likely be taken as a stalker moment, but it's really not! Just reconnecting to another lifetime ago.

Myspace and Friendster also gave me suprises today. Mostly from work but I found a relative and someone from home! Emails and invites were dutifully sent out so we shall see.

Have you ever googled your own name and actually gotten yourself? I blame that for myself on the industry I worked in, being very internet heavy, but it's still kind of creepy how much information someone can find without paying any money, just being intelligent with searches and different sites. It's also scarry how much personal information is out there waiting to be found.

I say this and I put the url to this blog as my sig on emails, so I have no room to talk =)

Sometimes I look back and think about how life was before the internet. I wrote letters, I made phone calls and talked for hours, went to the library to do research, now I can't be bothered to do any of those things. How much money I've saved on phone bills! The unfortunate part of this is that if someone isn't 'online' I have pretty much no contact with them. I only talk to people on my contact lists, and occational emails with old friends. I honestly don't know the last time I wrote a personal letter.

Am I sad about this? Only that I have family that I don't have as much contact with as others, but no I am happy with the instant gratification of instant messages and convience of emails. I like LiveJournal where I can keep up with some people, and this blog thing might keep me in touch with others. Or it just gives me a place to vent, who knows.

To end this on a good note let me show you a picture of the lights of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have an unusual name, so it is easier for you to find yourself (rather than other people with the same name) using Google. Mine is more common: try searching for me and you will also find a NASCAR driver, a researcher with DOE, a doctor in Littleton, NH, and several others.
John Sauter (J_Sauter@Empire.Net)