Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Time goes on

Time goes on

Time passes and events happen in our lives.  Some seeming significant some seeming casual, but we don’t realize their significance until later.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all of that.

I have a new job, I was hired as a personal assistant though my job has morphed into something more.  It makes me proud to know that I can take a minimal job and turn it into more.  Now I just need to be paid for what I’m doing =)

Little things however, like shopping for groceries in a small Southern California beach town, can be an enlightening experience.  I love the unique feel that is a small California town.  I felt it up in Palo Alto when I was a kid, and I felt it in Pacific Beach today.  I don’t think I’ve quite found ‘home’ yet, whatever that is, but I think I’m getting closer.  

Home was a concept brought up by someone to me today, what is home?  Can we ever go home?  What makes someplace home?  The house where I grew up has been remodeled into something I don’t recognize, and I haven’t lived there since 1991 so that isn’t home anymore, I’ve lived here for the past four or so years, but this house isn’t home by any means.  However I do think San Diego is beginning to become home.

I’m healthier here than I’ve ever been, I am thriving in the sunshine even if I try to never go out into it.  I get to drive my little red convertible around and try to avoid getting sunburnt.  I love the climate, I love the atmosphere, and I think I love the small Southern California town.  I don’t live in one right now, I live in a suburb, but I think I’d like to live in one of those small costal towns, maybe a bit further up north, still in the county though.

What is the point of this rambling?  Nothing really, I can’t bring myself to write about issues, the poor and needy, those who are discriminated against, though they are all in my thoughts.  Day to day life sort of takes over, I’m tired at night now, from working all day, I wake up in the morning with things to do and places to go, and I’m tired when I get home in the evenings.  It’s a different perspective from being unemployed, I’m glad I have seen both sides.  I think I am honestly happier working, surprising as that is.  The paychecks are nice also, I like having the bank stay in the black, it makes life so much less stressful.

Though with my first paycheck I didn’t buy shoes like most girls would, I bought books.  Yes I am a geek but I’m ok with that.

So this isn’t an emotional update or insightful, it’s just a part of life, like walking down the street in a small California beach town.

No comments: