Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wired News: Flood Waters Can't Sink Net Link

Wired News: Flood Waters Can't Sink Net Link

This article is talking about some guys in NO who have been keeping their hosting going throughout the hurricane. I've been following them because I spend more time than I really should reading the forums at www.somethingawful.com, and these guys are keeping it up despite the total arnachy going on around them. Their LiveJournal is an interesting read, especially when contrasted with what the 'official' reports I"m listening to on CNN.

For example an update from around 2am this morning

Security has become a major concern now, because the NOPD is ineffective and the looters terrorists are roaming the streets. Word is now that they're lighting buildings on fire, but I can't confirm that. Anyway, we have to run guard shifts and patrol and it limits our downtime.

It is a zoo out there though, make no mistake. It's the wild kingdom. It's Lord of the Flies. That doesn't mean there's murder on every street corner. But what it does mean is that the rule of law has collapsed, that there is no order, and that property rights cannot and are not being enforced. Anyone who is on the streets is in immediate danger of being robbed and killed. It's that bad.


Today is a bit better

The word is that in Jefferson Parish and Orleans, FEMA has "bugged out." They haven't brought supplies in.

THE REAL MILITARY IS NOW FLOWING IN. National Guard is being replaced before our eyes. Watch the feed.

Word is that the Marines are at 1515 Poydras where our OC4s are. I think we're coming back online in force shortly.

On another note: I've just been told that we're being monitored in Iraq! To all the troops there, from one soldier to another, we're hanging tough here and you hang tough too. No matter what you're hearing, we love you guys and want you to know that we know how hard you've got it. Stay strong!


http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

I recommend reading his observations, they are frightening and rather interesting. The cam shows a deserted cityscape, but thankfully no water. It is frightening that a city in the US could degenerate so quickly into anarchy. I"m glad the military is finally coming in, things sound out of control.

Just to add to the massive links, these are ones I've heard of before, but do research before you send money:

http://www.redcross.org/

http://www.amazon.com/

http://www.secondharvest.org/ -- Food bank

All the rest seemed to be religious orginizations and I figure people can find those on their own to each person's preference.

Also I heard, and I haven't confirmed, that if someone wants to actually go down and help with relief efforts their local Red Cross office is the best chance.

All thoughts and prayers go out to those in need. After my first paycheck I'll be sending money of my own.

No comments: